Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Irish Soda Bread

I decided this St. Patrick's Day we needed an Irish-inspired dinner.  I made a Guinness Beef Stew and this Irish Soda Bread was perfect to go with it.  I admit though, I'm so spoiled with my breaker - I don't even know the last time I had to knead dough by hand.  It was tough work!!

I was torn between which recipe to use.  Whole milk or buttermilk?  Caraway seeds and/or raisins?  Sugar or no sugar?  I decided to take ideas from a couple different recipes and see what would happen.  It was dense, heavy and absolutely delicious!  I'm glad I skipped the raisins and sugar, but I might add caraway seeds next time.  

Irish Soda Bread
8 servings
 
 

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl.  Stir in the buttermilk until dough just comes together.  

2.  Put dough on a well floured surface and knead until a large dough ball forms. Place dough on a baking sheet and, with a sharp knife, make a large 'x' in the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Enjoy!



See, I wasn't the only one who thought it was great!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment